Kuzhipaniyaram | Kara Paniyaram is a popular & favorite chettinad snack generally served with tea in the evening. It is an easy to make finger licking good traditional snack when served with a spicy chutney as a dip. This paniyaram could be made with some additional stuffing like vegetables, mushroom or even meat. You could add some grated veggies in the batter to make it more healthy.
It is a good way to finish off the leftover idli dosa batter in a appetizing way. I have already shared the sweet version of this Paniyaram with Pazham/banana and Jack fruit.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Idli dosa batter- 1½ cups
Oil-2 teaspoons+ to make paniyarams
Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dhal-1/2 teaspoon
Hing/ Asafetida- 1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves, chopped- 2 strands
Pearl onion, chopped- 10 nos(or) Onion- 1/2 big
Green chillies, chopped- 2
Ginger, chopped- 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut, grated/chopped- 2 teaspoons
Salt- to taste
- Remove 1½ cups of idli dosa batter from fidge and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard with urad dhal; cook till the mustard seeds crackle and the urad dhal starts to turn golden brown.
- Now add the asafetida and mix well in the hot oil. Immediately add the chopped onion, green chillies and ginger; cook with a pinch of salt till translucent.
- Now switch off the flame and add the coconut on the hot mixture; mix once and set aside.
- Add salt to the idli dosa batter if you have not added earlier. Now add the tempering over the idli dosa batter and mix well.
- Heat the kuzhi paniyaram pan and add 1/4 teaspoon of oil on each the hole and wait for thirty seconds till the oil get heated up.
- Using a small ladle or spoon carefully pour the batter inside the mould. Fill just below the line of the pan as the paniyaram rises once it cooked.
- Close with a lid and cook on low flame for two minutes till the top of the paniyaram is set.
- Using a sharp knife or toothpick carefully turnflip the paniyaram to cook the other side.
- Drizzle little oil if required. Now no need to close with a lid. Allow to cook for a minute till the inside of the paniyaram gets cooked.
- You could check the doneness by inserting a sharp knife or skewer. It has to come out clean.
- Shake the pan on top of the plate to remove the paniyarams from the pan. If some of the paniyarams get stuck,then using a sharp knife remove them from pan.
- The texture of the paniyaram should be crispy on the outside soft and spongy on inside.
- Serve with any spicy chutnies like Kara Chutney or Chilli Garlic chutney.
- Note: To make this paniyaram more healthy, add grated carrot, finely chopped beans and cabbage and saute once the onion get cooked.