Savoury Diamond cuts| Spicy diamond cuts| Maida Kara biscuit is a different take to the sweet diamond cuts which i have shared earlier. Diamond cuts have many varieties Sweet, Savoury and also Salted one. I love the sweet as well as savoury one. Savoury one tastes similar to murukku. So it suits well with tea or coffe in the evening especially at this season.
You could replace maida with wheat flour too. And you could add any flavouring agents like jeera, ajwain or caraway seeds of your choice. Easy to make tasty snack within minutes. Kids love the sweet version and this one is for the adults.
All purpose flour| Maida- 2 cups
Chilli powder- 1 teaspoon
Jeera- 1/2 teaspoon
Ajwain| Omam- 1 teaspoon
Sesame seeds- 1 teaspoon
Salt- to taste
Ghee| butter|oil- 1 tablespoon
Oil- to fry
- In a deep bowl add the maida, chilli powder, jeera, ajwain, sesame seeds, salt and oil.
- Using a spoon or hand mix well to combine evenly.
- Now add water little by little and knead well to form a dough.
- Transfer the dough to a flat surface and knead to make a soft dough with out lumps.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts.
- Dust the surface with flour and spread the dough using a rolling pin into thin circles.
- Cut them criss-cross to get diamond shapes using a knife or pizza cutter.
- Remove the pieces on a plate and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan till smoking hot.
- Hold the plate carefully and drop the cut pieces and fry them.
- Once the diamond cuts gets deep golden colour and crisp remove them from oil using a slotted spoon.
- Drain the excess oil using a kitchen towel. Once it cools store them in an airtight container.
- Note: You could make this using wheat flour too or maida and wheat flour 1: 1 proportion.
- Use the flavour of your choice like jeera, ajwain, caraway seeds.