Apart from leavening time the bread is so easy if you have the peel and other ingredients in hand. I have already prepared candied ginger and candied orange peel for this Christmas. I had other dry fruits and nuts at home so making this bread was so easy for me. I have referred all recipes site for the recipe and made changes as per my taste and made with marzipan surprise inside.
Preparation Time: 2 hour
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Makes: 1 big loaf
Dry yeast- 2 teaspoons
Warm Milk- 3/4 cup
Sugar- 1/3 cup
Salt- 1 teaspoon
All purpose flour| Bread flour-2 and 1/2 cups
Black raisins- 1/2 cups
Sultanas- 1/2 cup
Glazed cherries, chopped- 1/4 cup
Candied Ginger- 1/4 cup (optional)
Candied peel- 1/4 cup
Marzipan- 200 gms
Powdered sugar|Icing sugar- 2 tablespoons
Cinnamon- 1/2 teaspoon
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the egg, caster sugar, salt, butter, and 3/4 of the bread flour; beat well. Add the remaining flour, a little at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- When the dough has begun to pull together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead in the currants, sultanas, dried cherries and mixed peel. Continue kneading until smooth, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Lightly grease a baking tray. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the marzipan into a rope and place it in the center of the dough. Fold the dough over to cover it; pinch the seams together to seal.
- Place the loaf, seam side down, on the prepared baking tray. Cover with a clean, damp tea-towel and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 150 C and bake for a further 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow loaf to cool on a wire cooling rack. Dust the cooled loaf with icing sugar, sprinkle with cinnamon and finish with toasted flaked almonds.